Film Reviews – Vocabulary Workshop and Lesson Plan.
Film reviews are one of the most popular topics in TEFL and this is exactly what we were dealing with over the last week. Coursebooks don’t always do a great job in engaging students especially when it comes to reading and vocabulary exercises, so to assist my students, struggling with vocabulay aquisition, I developed the following vocabulary workshop.
The activity is based on a film review by Movieline and presents new words in context and with other words that they go with (i.e. horizontally). The visuals in the clip add a powerful element and help students to memorize the vocabulary easier and faster.
The activity could also be used to introduse a possible rhetorical structure of an oral film review (possible because there are other ways to structure a review).
Target skill: vocabulary
Other skills involved: reading, listening, rhetorical structure of an oral film review.
1. As a lead-in activity quickly go through some vocabulary that students will need to know in order to understand the ideas and opinions expressed in the film review.
2. Hand out the graphic organizers and allow your students a couple of minutes to look at them.
*Students can be working individually or in groups of up to four.*
4. Let the students watch the review in parts filling in the gaps with the appropriate word(s). Rewind the video if your students need to listen to the except again in order to fill in the gaps. The questions embedded in the video are multiple choice questions.
Click on the image below to open the EdPuzzle.
5. Let the students read the transcript of the film review.
Alternatively, you can assign this activity for independent study at home or use the paper-based version of the vocabulary exercises that can be downloaded here as a crossword puzzle (Crossword Puzzle – Film Review Vocabulary Workshop) or as a matching exercise.
7. As a post-activity ask the students to prepare a film review at home and either to record themselves or to be ready to present their film review next class. Once again students can work alone or in groups. Encourage the students to use the new vocabulary and phrases in their own fim review (assign extra points for each of the new words used or a lump-sum extra point).
Hope you enjoyed it and will find it of you.
Please, share your comments, ideas and suggestions. As always, they are always highly appreciated.